Make your Newspaper reading a fun experience with PressReader – [Hands on Review]
One of the major uses of handheld devices specially when it comes to reading everyday newspapers and other digitized form of media is preferably via our tablets while the rest of us feel comfortable using our smartphones for the same purpose. In either case, we would most certainly prefer to browse through all the different papers at a go and what better way to do it then to use PressReader. This nifty little app available for all platforms including BlackBerry and Windows is without a doubt the most satisfying, engaging, feature-rich and entertaining newspaper and magazine reading application you’ll ever use.
PressReader allows you to browse, zoom in and read full digital replicas of around 2100 different newspapers and magazines from 95 countries just like you would in print. Sounds interesting doesn’t it ? Even though the app is available as a free download, the newspapers on the other hand can only be viewed through a subscription basis which is approximately $29/month or a $0.99 if done on a day to day basis. The app does come with its fair share of pros and cons which we have listed below,
- Read magazines and newspapers the way they’re designed to be read.
- Changeable font size
- Twitter share buttons
- 2100 publications to choose from
- See and read publications in their full layout
- Print, email, facebook or text an article you like right from the app
- Mac and PC clients available for free download
- It can be frustrating when there’s a publication you want to read and it seems like PressReader has everything but the one you want.
- There is no way to filter content against undesirable images or languages so there’s no way to put a ‘family filter’ on it and protect the kids from gaining access.
- Sometimes I found navigation a little difficult when using the app on my phone, it’s not like that on larger devices though.
Features of PressReader at a Glance
- Auto-delivery of your favorite publications
- Attention-grabbing SmartFlow stream
- Sharing stories by email or on Facebook or Twitter
- Saving articles to Evernote or Instapaper
- Listening to articles using on-demand audio
- Copying & pasting entire articles into note taking applications
- Sharing your opinion by supporting or opposing a story
- Adjusting font size and type
- Automatically aligning with the beginning of an article using the option SmartZoom feature
- Cross title navigation
- Authorization of PressReader with a PressDisplay.com subscription
So there you have it folks ! PressReader, in short, is a gem for the newspaper lovers. The app offers the experience of reading a real newspaper and also provides the user a better experience through tablets such as the iPad, an Android Tablet or a smartphone. The app can be a perfect companion for those who are travelling abroad are interested in keeping themselves updated with all the happenings in the world.